Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Back to School for the USA


America is bustling with preparation for children going back to school and students going to colleges. For the USA, the August/September period marks a new school year after a 3-month long summer. For me, August 27 was a milestone in my life just as it was for many American families – my daughter headed off to college and I became an empty-nester. The empty nest may seem like a foreign concept to many Singaporeans as Singaporean college students continue to stay at home with their parents usually till they get married. Even after marriage, these grown up kids come home often and are just a short drive away from their maternal home. For American empty-nesters, their kids may well be a plane ride away. They may or may not come back to the nest. As for me, I am anticipating mixed feelings of new-found freedom and also a certain emptiness without all the bustle of having a teenager in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment