Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

American Patriotism

When I was at Dulles Airport recently, I heard the sound of clapping. Went to check it out, Americans were applauding as U.S. soldiers in their military fatigues were boarding their aircraft. I stood and applauded too – I admire these patriots who stand in harm’s way so that their country and families can be secure. Isn’t this the pinnacle of love – to be willing to lay down their lives for their loved ones? Edwin tells me it is common in all the airports he traveled to – Americans honor their soldiers by standing up and clapping as the soldiers are either heading out to a posting or returning from an assignment, possibly in a war zone.

This may sound strange but I feel more for Singapore having been away for 10 years. Being in the U.S. makes me nostalgic about Singapore and all its quirks. Told my 22 year old son (serving NS now) and he agrees -- spending time abroad makes him feel more patriotic.

No comments:

Post a Comment