Search This Blog

Friday, July 9, 2010

American Lexicon

Americanism “I don’t care”

“Do you prefer me in the white or black dress?”
“I don’t care.”
Sounds offensive to Singaporeans who think it means you couldn’t care less and are callous/disinterested but in actual fact it is a neutral and friendly expression meaning “I don’t mind, either option is fine with me.”

Don’t say toilet, lorry or boot
If you need to answer nature’s call, ask for the “restroom” or “bathroom” not “toilet” (it sounds crude to Americans as it denotes the toilet bowl)

In the U.S., say “truck” not “lorry” and use “trunk” to refer to the “boot” of the car. Then you will be understood and not have an American staring blank at you.

1 comment:

  1. yes, when I went to College back in the 80s, I asked one of my female classmates if I could borrow a "rubber"... she of course was stunned and staring at me, then I realized that it's "eraser".

    It was totally embarrassing....

    ReplyDelete